Sunday, November 20, 2011

Are psychological thrillers with strong language too much for Indies readers?

My first book, Unraveling Ada, is the genesis for a series. In this book, readers are introduced to Rachel Lyons, new PI and retired librarian, who becomes involved in the solving of a crime through a hand quilting group she has recently met. In the process she is changed from a happy middle-aged grandmother to someone struggling with her basic assumptions about life.

This is no granny's quilting group. The women (one of whom is 13) who gather to top-stitch each others quilts are the subjects of each of the nine novels I intend to write (7 more to go) in this series. This first book, Unraveling Ada is about Ada Stowall, the woman whom Rachel Lyons replaces after her brutal murder. On one level, it is a psychological study of a dysfunctional family who harm each other in horrible ways.

Unraveling Ada is also a murder mystery, and Rachel is partnered with her husband Matthew in their private investigations business.

The second book in the series (just released) is Ripping Abigail and it is a psychological thriller about a teenager caught up in the violence of a gang gone bad.

I chose to self-publish because I was 68 when I published my first, and I felt I didn't have time to wait to be accepted by an agent, and then wait again for that agent to find a publisher. But now I'm worried that the nature of my writing is too strong for the POD audience. What do you all think?

No comments:

Post a Comment